"Rachel J Slocum"
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Photo 1 of 27
Rachel J. Slocum is a fas
<img title="" src="/images/proc/deals/IYBA_402592004.jpg?width=80&height=80"/><img title="" src="/images/proc/deals/IYBA_1488049306.jpg?width=80&height=80"/><img title="" src="/images/proc/deals/IYBA_226300684.jpg?width=80&height=80"/><img title="" src="/images/proc/deals/IYBA_638387427.jpg?width=80&height=80"/><img title="" src="/images/proc/deals/IYBA_600490042.jpg?width=80&height=80"/><img title="" src="/images/proc/deals/IYBA_1172982760.jpg?width=80&height=80"/><img title="" src="/images/proc/deals/IYBA_2120314600.jpg?width=80&height=80"/><img title="" src="/images/proc/deals/IYBA_2113431439.jpg?width=80&height=80"/><img title="" src="/images/proc/deals/IYBA_1950138482.jpg?width=80&height=80"/><img title="" src="/images/proc/deals/IYBA_1437881432.jpg?width=80&height=80"/><img title="" src="/images/proc/deals/IYBA_22640331.jpg?width=80&height=80"/><img title="" src="/images/proc/deals/IYBA_1709428442.jpg?width=80&height=80"/>
Once in a while you come across a unique yacht, a one-of-a-kind design that will not be repeated. This is the S/V Rachael J Slocum . She was designed by Yves-Marie Tanton to the owners specifications and built by Shing Sheng of Taiwan. Her seller, and original owner , was instrumental in RJ Slocums design and build process, overseeing every step along the way. She is unlike any other yacht in the world.
Rachel J. Slocum is a fast, comfortable one-off staysail schooner capable of sailing at 7.5-8 knots in almost any wind condition, and staying there. She usually gets more looks than any other boat in the harbor. There was only one rule given to the designer: nothing must compromise sailing ability. With its huge sail area and lean hull, Rachel J. Slocum begins cruising upwind at 4.5 knots in open-ocean conditions at only 4 knots of breeze while most other vessels must rely on their motor, and gets to the next anchorage, under sail, faster than you or others will believe possible. The captain can choose between wind vane or electric auto pilot to maintain an excellent track in varying wind conditions.
Rachel J. Slocum took 1 year to design and 3½ years to build with private US and British inspectors, and with the present owner, on site every step of the way. She is ABS certified (ABS Certificate No. KS 6055X). The owner, who grew up on sailing yachts and whose father owned Concordia Boat Yard and Marshall Marine in Padanaram, Massachusetts, took care to incorporate every good idea learned after nine continuous years cruising around the world in a different yacht. She has been continuously refit and upgraded since launch, with no consideration to cost. Everything works.
This is a yacht that was designed for and will appeal to one couple who wishes to sail the world immediately in comfort and style, and with speed, with provision for three live-aboard guests on an occasional basis. She is "ready to go", with nothing that needs to be upgraded or fixed.
Features such as a Kevlar hull that has higher impact resistance than steel for its thickness and no possibility of blistering, a Divinycell foam deck core, schooner/cutter rig, and impressive interior put her a step above all others. She was designed for all waters, and as such had an offshore hull with a wing keel designed by Dave Pedrick of Americas Cup fame. All Spectra sails in excellent of brand new condition. Harken furlers & rigging, Sta-Lok fittings. Lugger engine (full rebuild 2018) with Max Prop.
Vessel track record with same owner:
- 1.75 comfortable world circumnavigations via Cape Aiguilles/Cape of Good Hope (twice), Cape Horn, Tasmania (4 times).
- Seven crossings of the Pacific, twice across the Atlantic.
- Extensive cruising South China Sea area, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand, South America, Patagonia, South and North Pacific, north and south Indian Ocean, Southern Ocean.
- Storm characteristics: excellent. Vessel can and has hove-to safely in open Southern Ocean conditions to 60 knots with a reefed main staysail.
- Light-wind characteristics: unbelievable. The fisherman, with it's high moment aloft, prevents rolling and sail flogging in big ocean swells, allowing the boat to sail in extremely light breezes where others can't.
- Westinghouse 7.5 KV isolation transformer.
- Four 420-amp AGM battery bank and separate 105 AGM start battery (all new 2018). Each battery isolated with it's own switch. Solenoid switch to join engine battery to house bank in emergency. Special switch set-up to check for even the most minute (less than 1/20 amp) battery drain.
- Built-in battery charging 220-V 50 Hz; 110-V 60 Hz; 110-V 50 Hz for world cruising.
- Dual 110v-60Hz/220v-50Hz outlets.
- Heart Inverter 1200W
- Bullet-proof ABS certified "ring-type" electrical system with a circuit breaker and a short wire lead to every electrical appliance. Every circuit breaker panel opens up for easy access.
- 2 x 160-amp heavy-duty alternators with electronic charging (1 run hydraulically).
- Mast and thru-holes heavily bonded to keel for lightning protection.
- Two built-in solar panels.
- Spurs line and weed cutter on shaft.
- Lasdrop shaft seal for stuffing box.
- 2-blade feathering Max Prop - adjustable pitch and no drag under sail.
- Only two thru hulls for water intake and two thru-hulls for water discharge. Custom sea chest & sump tank are equipped with Lexan and safety glass viewing ports.
- Bilge alarm
- Emergency hand-held high-capacity bilge pump accessible from cockpit.
- Hi Seas Diesel Heater
- Liquor cabinet; wine storage locker.
- Burglar alarm also activates masthead strobe.
- Built-in, hidden safe.
- Hidden locker for arms - cannot be discovered without completely destroying yacht.
- Low-amp fans, oil lamps, attention to handholds throughout cabin.
- Hidden red tube lighting throughout cabin for night vision below and for "atmosphere".
- Custom deck lighting beneath cabin combing prevents "night blinding".
- Salon settee pulls out for double berth.
- Heavy-duty Whitlock "direct drive" steering system (bullet-proof, no cables).
- Maxwell electric vertical windlass.
- Sea Recovery 30 gal/hour water maker (hydraulic) with custom valves to isolate water collection from each membrane.
- Sea Frost engine-driven refrigeration (hydraulic) galley and cockpit.
- Heavy-duty wash down pump/emergency bilge pump (hydraulic).
- Clothes washing machine.
- 10 oversize Lewmar sheet and halyard winches.
- 6 Lewmar multi-position hatches.
- 6 solar vents on custom dorade boxes.
- Cockpit refrigeration for soft drinks and beer.
- Deck scuppers lead to valves that can divert all water that falls on cabin/decks to water tanks.
- 125-lb and 85-lb genuine CQR anchors, both with 100 feet 3/8" high-test chain and 200 feet ¾" nylon rode; Fortress FX-32 stern anchor on stern pulpit with chain and rode.
- Folding permanent s/s boarding ladder in cockpit.
- Sea harnesses, flares, 4-man life raft, series drogue for open-water storm conditions surpassing 60 knots, spot light, complete overboard bag with hand-held emergency water maker.
- Sunbrella Bimini top, dodger, excellent condition
- Custom Sunbrella canopy covers entire boat if desired.
- Dual engine controls/instruments in cockpit and below.
- Tons of spares for EVERYTHING (engine, all equipment. Spare bilge pumps, float switches, enough water maker filters to last many years, complete set of water maker spares, spare engine starter motor, spare windlass motor, spare water maker cat pump, spare alternators, spare diesel injector pump, blowers, spare aqua-drive, spare raw water/fresh water engine pump, spare engine valves and lift springs, complete set of injectors, belts as necessary to last years (multi-groove), 2 complete engine gasket kits, fuel pump, hundreds of other spare engine parts including but not limited to engine instruments and senders, scores of oil, fuel and hydraulic filters, wind-vane parts, spare auto pilot, spare solar vents, fans, a spare pump for every water and fuel transfer pump on the boat, repair kits for absolutely everything, repair manuals for every piece of equipment. Enough spares for many years of hassle-free cruising!
Sails & Rigging
- Fully battened Spectra main with Harken bat cars, 1 year old.
- Spectra battened main staysail (North Sails) on Harken furler, 1 year old.
- Spectra battened fore staysail (North Sails) on Harken furler, hardly used.
- Spectra genoa, brand new, still in bag.
- Light Dacron roller fisherman, with spare fisherman brand new and never used.
- Running rigging continuously upgraded.
- Dual stays and shrouds on both masts for safety.
- Sta-lock rigging fittings on both uppers and lowers will never fail or need replacing.
- Standing rigging completely rebuilt 2018.
Specifications, with Equipment and Information:
- Length: 50' 0"
- LOA: 50' 0"
- BEAM: 13' 4"
- DRAFT: 6' 6"
- Fuel: 200 gallons
- Water: 60 gallons
- Hull Construction: Composite
- Manufacturer: Tanton
- Model: TA-SHING BUILT ONE OF A KIND SCH
Please call or email us with any questions.
777 SE 20th St, Suite 255
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
Details of this vessel are offered in good faith by the Company. The
Information cannot be guaranteed; therefore it is up to the Buyer, his Agents,
or his Surveyors to verify.
Make an Offer Anytime!!
Check out all the Used Yachts for Sale, Used Powerboats for Sale or Used Boats for Sale in the Special Sections...
Just click "Email Us" from the Listing Above
~ Make an Offer ~ Get A Great Deal ~
Remember to Email Your Offer!!